[perl #119217] Regarding errors in installation of perl

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 10, 2013 13:13
Subject:
[perl #119217] Regarding errors in installation of perl
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1376140371-826.119217-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Aug 09 09:08:01 2013, ganga.jeena@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am installin perl -5.18.0 to a local directory in my home directory on
> linux server!
> Here is the error I get when i run "make" command
> I found many people have got similar errors. However, they suggest touch
> and timestamp change for Makefile.PL
> I tried and Realised I have to repeatedly change timestamp after make
> command.
> I was wondering if this problem has already been encountered and can be
> solved via some in built tricks.
> If yes, I request for a detailed solution !
> If not, It would be a blessing, if it is  tackled  in any future versions!
>
> *:*
> *==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
> ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
> false
> make[2]: *** [Makefile] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jeena/bin/perl-5.18.0_
> source/dist/Attribute-Handlers'
>  make config PERL_CORE=1 LIBPERL_A=libperl.a failed, continuing anyway...
> Making all in dist/Attribute-Handlers
>  make all PERL_CORE=1 LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jeena/bin/perl-5.18.0_
> source/dist/Attribute-Handlers'
> Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
> Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
> make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
> ../../miniperl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib" Makefile.PL "INSTALLDIRS=perl"
> "INSTALLMAN1DIR=none" "INSTALLMAN3DIR=none" "PERL_CORE=1"
> "LIBPERL_A=libperl.a"
> Writing Makefile for Attribute::Handlers
> ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
> ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
> false
> make[2]: *** [Makefile] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jeena/bin/perl-5.18.0_
> source/dist/Attribute-Handlers'
> Unsuccessful make(dist/Attribute-Handlers): code=512 at make_ext.pl line
> 490.
> make[1]: *** [dist/Attribute-Handlers/pm_to_blib] Error 25
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jeena/bin/perl-5.18.0_source'
> make: *** [install] Error 2*
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Ganga Jeena

There are probably people on this list more knowledgeable than I am
about this problem, so don't take what follows as gospel.

1. Whenever I see something like this when building Perl from source ...

> ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
> ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==

... it means that something has gone wrong in the build and that I have
attempted to correct it without going back to Square One, i.e., without
calling something like 'make realclean' or, when building from a git
checkout rather than a tarball, 'git clean -dfx'.

In most cases, 'make' does the right thing despite these warnings and
the build completes successfully.  In some cases, such as yours, it does
not.  So I would suggest cleaning out your build directory and starting
anew.

2. If you are installing Perl under your home directory, you should
consider using 'perlbrew', available from CPAN at
http://search.cpan.org/~gugod/App-perlbrew-0.66/, among other locations.
 This program enables you to install multiple different versions of Perl
beneath your home directory and switch back and forth between them with
relative ease.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---