[perl #50352] Perl 5.10 Storable extremely slow for large trees of data

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 10, 2013 00:30
Subject:
[perl #50352] Perl 5.10 Storable extremely slow for large trees of data
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1376094615-615.50352-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Jan 28 11:26:33 2008, clint wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from clintp@gmail.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.36 running under perl 5.10.0.

> To duplicate a large expat-parsed XML structure (with refs of refs of
> refs),
>
> I'm doing the following:
>

> my $temp = Storable::freeze $originalXml;
> my $copyXml = Storable::thaw($temp);
>

> And by "large" I mean about 8MB when dumped with Data::Dumper.  Under
> Perl
> 5.6
> the "freeze" takes fractions of a second.  Under Perl 5.10 it takes
> many
> seconds
> (between 5-8 seconds).

There has been no correspondence in this RT for over five years.
Nothing was ever definitively found, perhaps in part because the only
sample file attached to the ticket does not appear to be relevant.

If someone feels we still have this problem with Storable, could s/he
open a new RT ticket with evidence?  Otherwise, I think we should close
this ticket.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---