Re: test.pl runperl() exit oddity

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
Re: test.pl runperl() exit oddity
Message ID:
20130809032518.1693.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Steve Hay wrote:
> I have bisected this and found that this is the culprit:
>
> [perl #117855] Store CopFILEGV in a pad under ithreads
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/c82ecf346a8512f22f25188e450d92938c245421

That commit is flawed by design.  I did not really think it through.
Each cop holds a reference count on the item in the filegv pad.
But if the cop is shared between threads, then how on earth do you
manage that?

If nobody comes up with some amazing inspiration any time soon, I will
go ahead and revert it.

The real fix will be a separate shared string table shared between
threads.  That would be a lot more work.