Re: test.pl runperl() exit oddity

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: test.pl runperl() exit oddity
Message ID:
20130808075422.GF3729@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 09:52:44PM +0100, Steve Hay wrote:

> I have that failing in blead anyway (i.e. without the changes in your
> smoke-me branch), but (I thought) it only happens when I run the whole
> test suite through: when I then run just op/fork.t afterwards to see
> why it failed, it doesn't fail...
>
> However, I've just tried out your branch plus the change you suggest
> above as well and whilst it makes no difference to op/fork.t still
> failing test 16, I have just found that I can reproduce it manually
> afterwards now! Not sure if that's due to your changes or just random
> luck, but here's the output while I see it anyway!:
>
> C:\Dev\Git\perl\t>..\perl harness op\fork.t
> op/fork.t .. 11/? PROG:
> if (eval q{$pid = fork}) {
>     eval q{ die "parent died" };
>     print $@;
> }
> else {
>     eval q{ die "child died" };
>     print $@;
> }
> EXPECTED:
> parent died at (eval 2) line 1.
> child died at (eval 2) line 1.
> GOT:
> Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x2d984c, Perl interpreter: 0x2d236c at
> - line 1.
> child died at (eval 2) line 1.
> parent died at (eval 2) line 1.
> # Failed test 16 - at op/fork.t line 16
> op/fork.t .. Failed 1/26 subtests
>         (less 1 skipped subtest: 24 okay)
>
> Test Summary Report
> -------------------
> op/fork.t (Wstat: 0 Tests: 26 Failed: 1)
>   Failed test:  16
> Files=1, Tests=26, 13 wallclock secs ( 0.03 usr +  0.00 sys =  0.03 CPU)
> Result: FAIL

Thanks for capturing the error.
Oh, great. :-(

I have no idea how to figure out how to nail this down further. My only guess
is that it's something in ss_dup(). Or something *not* in ss_dup() that should
be - ie something else changed, and ss_dup() wasn't updated to clone it
correctly.

Nicholas Clark