[perl #9321] Seg-fault running t/io/fs.t under Devel::DProf

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 3, 2013 17:19
Subject:
[perl #9321] Seg-fault running t/io/fs.t under Devel::DProf
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1375550386-1718.9321-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Aug 03 09:28:12 2013, jkeenan wrote:
> On Mon May 13 08:22:35 2002, sam@airtrout.tregar.com wrote:
> >
> > This is a bug report for perl from sam@airtrout.tregar.com,
> > generated with the help of perlbug 1.33 running under perl v5.7.3.

> > [Please enter your report here]
> >
> > Running t/io/fs.t under Devel::DProf seg-faults reliably:
> >
> > [sam@airtrout bleadperl]$ cd t
> > [sam@airtrout t]$ ../perl -I../lib -d:DProf io/fs.t
> > 1..32
> > ok 1 - umask
> > ok 2 - link a b
> > ok 3 - link b c
> > ok 4 - link count of triply-linked file
> > ok 5 - mode of triply-linked file
> > ok 6 - chmod succeeding
> > ok 7 - chmod going through
> > ok 8 - chmod two files
> > ok 9 - chmod going through to c
> > ok 10 - chmod going through to x
> > ok 11 - unlink two files
> > ok 12 - ino of removed file b should be undef
> > ok 13 - ino of removed file x should be undef
> > ok 14 - rename a b
> > ok 15 - ino of renamed file a should be undef
> > ok 16 - utime
> > ok 17 - non-zero inode num
> > # atime - 500000000  mtime - 500000001  delta - 1
> > ok 18 - atime
> > ok 19 - mtime
> > ok 20 - unlink b
> > ok 21 - ino of unlinked file b should be undef
> > ok 22 # skip: Win32/Netware specific test
> > ok 23 # skip: Win32/Netware specific test
> > ok 24 - truncation to five bytes
> > ok 25 - truncation to zero bytes
> > ok 26 - fh resize to 200
> > ok 27 - fh resize to 200 working (filename check)
> > ok 28 - fh resize to zero
> > ok 29 - fh resize to zero working (filename check)
> > ok 30 - rename working
> > not ok 31 - rename on directories
> > # Failed at io/fs.t line 347
> > ok 32 - rename on directories working
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> > Looking at it under gdb, it's faulting at DProf.xs at line 319:
> >
> >   GV *gv = CvGV(cv);
> >
> > This looks to be the same problem as the one I reported triggering
> > through
> > Apache::DProf
> > (http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2002-
> > 04/msg01559.html)
> >
> > I plan to investigate further, although I don't know have high hopes
> > for
> > fixing this on my own.  DProf.xs makes frighteningly little sense to
> > me.
> >
> > -sam
> >

> Devel::DProf has been removed from the Perl 5 core distribution:
>
> ######
> $ corelist Devel::DProf
>
> Data for 2013-05-18
> Devel::DProf was first released with perl v5.6.0 and removed from
> v5.15.0
> ######
>
> In fact, it has been deprecated in favor of Devel::NYTProf.
>
> Hence, I believe we don't need to explore this ticket further.  I am
> taking it for the purpose of closing it in 7 days unless someone
> wishes
> [...]

If DProf (on CPAN) still crashes (on panics) with the latest blead, then
we should probably transfer this to DProf’s bug tracker.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open