[perl #71940] Data::Dumper Makefile.PL should shortcut and return NA when there is no C compiler

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 3, 2013 16:53
Subject:
[perl #71940] Data::Dumper Makefile.PL should shortcut and return NA when there is no C compiler
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1375548788-100.71940-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Jan 08 04:23:50 2010, smueller@cpan.org wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> adamk@cpan.org (via RT) wrote:
> > The Data::Dumper Makefile.PL assumes the existence of a compiler and
> > fails at build-time otherwise.
> >
> > This won't be a problem in the core, but can cause spurious CPAN
> > Testers failures on some interesting platforms.
> >
> > The Makefile.PL should detect the existance of the C compiler and
> > shortcut return otherwise, producing a NA result in CPAN Testeres.
>
> can you patch it in your repository (Data::Dumper CPAN release lives
> there) and then send me a ping? I'd make sure things get propagated
> appropriately.
>
> Best regards,
> Steffen

Steffen,

Was a patch ever submitted?

Do we really need this?  On cpantesters.org Data-Dumper has very few
failure reports.

If we needed this probe for Data-Dumper, wouldn't we also need it for
every other distribution in the cpan/ directory?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open