Re: License discrepancy for your CPAN module Compress::Bzip2

From:
Reini Urban
Date:
Re: License discrepancy for your CPAN module Compress::Bzip2
Message ID:
D3864FD0-E62D-4B06-85C2-C966C089A438@gmail.com
On Jul 17, 2013, at 6:50 AM, "Jason St. John" <jstjohn@purdue.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed that your Perl module Compress::Bzip2 on CPAN has a
> licensing discrepancy. On the CPAN web site (see below), the license
> is specified as "The Perl 5 License (Artistic 1 & GPL 1)", but the
> COPYING file contains the GPLv2.
> You should fix the stated license on CPAN. :)
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Compress-Bzip2/

That looks like an upstream cpan bug.
Most CPAN modules have the same abbrevation.

I only specify license = perl
and cpan prints the wrong

The Perl 5 License (Artistic 1 & GPL 1)

pointing to a document, which says
the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any later version, or

Interesting.
metacpan avoids by displaying
License: perl_5

So the best fix would be change the search cpan wording to
The Perl 5 License (Artistic 1 & GPL 1+)

When can perl5 be changed to Artistic 2, BTW?