Re: [perl #118795] locale changes in 5.19.1 break LC_NUMERIC handling

From:
John Peacock
Date:
Re: [perl #118795] locale changes in 5.19.1 break LC_NUMERIC handling
Message ID:
51DCBE43.9070001@havurah-software.org
On 07/09/2013 09:01 PM, karl williamson via RT wrote:
> If there is something you would like changed, let me know, or better,
> submit a patch, which I would promptly consider.

The patch looks good, though I would have explicitly put 'use locale' in
the example code and explained when or why you _wouldn't_ need it,
instead of the other way around.  For that matter, I think that the
examples in perllocale should also have 'use locale' explicitly listed
for precisely the same reasons.  Yes, the previous paragraph explains
that Perl will ignore locales without it, but if you are using
setlocale() for non-trivial purposes, you need to have 'use locale' in
force.  Perhaps adding a lexical scope after the initial setlocale() to
emphasize that only within that block will Perl respect the locale.

I wonder whether the much better documentation from perllocale on using
setlocale() should be in the POSIX POD instead and the references
reversed.  It is almost always better to maintain locality (no pun
intended) between the documentation and the function's actual namespace,
rather than pointing at some other document for the important details.

John