constant race failures in recent George blead smokes on Win32

From:
bulk88
Date:
July 9, 2013 00:35
Subject:
constant race failures in recent George blead smokes on Win32
Message ID:
BLU0-SMTP174F2104F34BD01894A55A7DF790@phx.gbl
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.daily-build.reports/2013/07/msg145884.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.daily-build.reports/2013/07/msg145804.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.daily-build.reports/2013/07/msg145734.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.daily-build.reports/2013/07/msg145598.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.daily-build.reports/2013/07/msg145524.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2013/07/msg204194.html
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2013/07/msg204184.html

Over the last month or 2 I've seen a large uptick in the win32 smoke
failures from Georges machine. I've never replicated any of them. In
particular I looked at the ../cpan/IPC-Cmd/t/01_IPC-Cmd.t failures. They
usually come in failures of 2, and the specific problem is that this
like()
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/3a0b4597b2f8395314ac26ae64724f8965fa7bed:/cpan/IPC-Cmd/t/01_IPC-Cmd.t#l146
and the next one are empty string or undef (didn't check which), usually
in pairs, but always on a random iteration of the loop. The empty
strings came from run function in (nearest link)
http://search.cpan.org/~bingos/IPC-Cmd-0.82/lib/IPC/Cmd.pm#command and
consist of buffers from the child proc. the ../lib/Benchmark.t and
../t/op/threads.t failures I didn't investigate.

Anyone (including George) have ideas on what these bugs might be, or how
to solve them, or if there are existing writeups on them?

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2012/05/msg186597.html
this came close to win32 thread/race problems but didn't really say anything