Re: the mystery of the undef upstreams

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: the mystery of the undef upstreams
Message ID:
20130706161303.GB966@cancer.codesimply.com
* Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> [2013-06-26T23:08:26]
> Porting/Maintainers.pl is a funny file.  It's the source of many useful data,
> like whether a dist is upstream-cpan or upstream-blead, and how upstream-cpan
> dists have been customized when merged into core, and so on.
> […]
> I'd like to clean it up in two ways:
>
> 1. determine the upstream for undecided dists
> 2. drop the "person on the spot" listing for things where it's not useful

I have mostly executed the plan described here, in the branch
rjbs/upstream-update.

>   Devel::PPPort

I didn't touch this.  I emailed Marcus (mhx) about changing its status June 19
and didn't hear back.  I will try again.

>   VMS::DCLsym (?)
>   VMS::Studio (?)

I updated these, triggering a cmp-version failure.  I bumped their versions.

>   XSLoader

I updated this, triggering a change to META.json.  I don't think it will be
problematic, but I'd like a quick review by somebody other than me.

>   # LIKELY "cpan"
>   ExtUtils::Constant
>   File-Path
>   IO-Zlib
>   libnet
>   parent
>   PerlIO::via::QuotedPrint
>   Pod-Escapes
>   s2p[1]
>   Term-Cap
>   Text-ParseWords
>   Time-Piece[2]

I updated these, save for s2p.  I left Time-Piece as upstream cpan.  I have
adopted it for the time being and will work through its backlog of tickets.
(11 down, 8 to go.)  After that, we'll see.  If nothing else, we know that I
will be around to integrate changes back to it!

>   # rjbs doesn't want to guess
>   encoding::warnings

Still don't.

> * THINGS TO REMOVE:
>   win32

That's the only one I didn't remove.  Win32Core ends up showing as having no
maintainer, and I'm not sure how we want to deal with this.  For now, leaving
it as is.  May very well change it to upstream blead.

Please object if you're going to object to anything.  Otherwise, one the
XSLoader thing is sorted, this work will get applied.

--
rjbs