permission to cherry-pick 0412267b40f63 for 5.18.1?

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
July 6, 2013 15:29
Subject:
permission to cherry-pick 0412267b40f63 for 5.18.1?
Message ID:
8DFA4F75-29A1-4CFD-8F08-1D3247246D7C@mac.com
This is a portobility fix that has zero chance of affecting non-VMS platforms but makes packaging 5.18.x a bit more convenient for me.  Mind if I backport it?

commit 0412267b40f63a0cda6ce338475f9dabaef73fa9
Author: Craig A. Berry <craigberry@mac.com>
Date:   Fri May 31 16:23:24 2013 -0500

    Update the GSMATCH handling in vms/gen_shrfls.pl.

    This code (which only runs if you have set PERLSHR_USE_GSMATCH in
    the environment) has not been updated in a long time.  It was
    assuming that $] had only five digits after the decimal, whereas
    it's had six for some time. And it assumed that the Perl5 version
    could be represented in 4 bits, which was true up through 5.15
    but isn't true anymore.

    So get all the digits of the version number, and go wild and spend
    5 bits on the value of $Config{PERL_VERSION}, which will get us
    through 5.31.  That only leaves three bits in which to encode all
    the options that could break binary compatibility, whereas in fact
    we need about thirty bits.

    So clearly this only works in a situation where the configuration
    can be standardized and/or different configurations are packaged
    separately.

 vms/gen_shrfls.pl |   20 ++++++++++----------

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry@mac.com