Re: [perl #118633] Output of perldoc -f tr is truncated

From:
Peter Scott
Date:
Re: [perl #118633] Output of perldoc -f tr is truncated
Message ID:
20130701015320.25934.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:38:03 -0700, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> On Tue Jun 25 07:20:21 2013, Peter@PSDT.com wrote:
>> It should have kept going and displayed the documentation for tr|y. It
>> stopped because it reached the =item line for y/// in this extract from
>> perlop.pod:
>>
>> =item tr/SEARCHLIST/REPLACEMENTLIST/cdsr X<tr> X<y> X<transliterate>
>>
>> =item y/SEARCHLIST/REPLACEMENTLIST/cdsr
>
> 1. Bug confirmed.
>
> 2. I suspect it's a problem with 'perldoc -f' -- but *not* the problem
> which underlies RT #118615.  (The patch that Shlomi submitted for
> 118615, which works for me, does not work for me for this problem.)
>
> 3. As was the case with #118615, since Pod-Perldoc is primarily
> maintained on CPAN, I am going to close this ticket here and open up a
> ticket at https://rt.cpan.org//Dist/Display.html?Queue=Pod-Perldoc. See:
>  https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=86506

I demur.  It seems at least as likely to me that the fix lies in
rewriting perlop.pod, which is why I tagged it for core documentation.
For instance, if the order of the source lines in perlop.pod were changed
to:

=item tr/SEARCHLIST/REPLACEMENTLIST/cdsr

=item y/SEARCHLIST/REPLACEMENTLIST/cdsr

then perldoc -f tr and perldoc -f y both produce what appears to be the
expected output.

--
Peter Scott