Re: [perl #117447] re modifier "h" - return named captures as hash expression

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
June 29, 2013 23:40
Re: [perl #117447] re modifier "h" - return named captures as hash expression
Message ID:
23031.1372549234@chthon
Brian Gottreu <gottreu@gmail.com> wrote on Sat, 29 Jun 2013 18:03:43 CDT:

> On 06/29/2013 02:36 PM, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>> And I don’t want us to keep adding /mods.  We have to think of
>> another way, something that embeds them and isn't stuck at mysterioius
>> one-letter identifiers.

> Could you clarify what you mean by embed and what the antecedent of
> 'them' is?

The antecedent of “them” is /mods, like /acdgilmopsux, stressed on the
last syllable. Embedding  them is necessary for pattern flags albeit
not for match flags.  You know, the (?six-m:...) thing.

I don’t like the idea of single-character signifiers carrying so much
meaning with no more readable way of expressing them.  And I certainly
don’t think we should go adding more of those without coming up with
a way to somehow write something more meaningful, like a real word
for each of them.

--tom