Re: the mystery of the undef upstreams

From:
David Golden
Date:
June 27, 2013 15:42
Re: the mystery of the undef upstreams
Message ID:
CAOeq1c-4uv-Qwb9V=+Mxu390XMqfD2wG0hvEQH9CgmeBB=K=Eg@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> wrote:
> In other words: Our skilled volunteer time is worth a LOT more than it's
> worth to spend on poking third parties for weeks or months.

I suspect there are two problem situations:

(a) maintainer is swamped/non-responsive on that module (Time::HiRes
falls into this category)

(b) project has a long dev release cycle (EU::MM and Test::Simple fall
into this category)

For (a), there needs to be a new maintainer.  For (b), the maintainer
needs to fork the old stable with a fix and ship that to CPAN so we
can port it into blead.

I think a week or two is a reasonable time to ask someone to ship a
fix and wait for a response.  After that, I see no problem with the
pumpking saying "I'm appointing a caretaker to ship a fix to CPAN".  I
think we have enough PAUSE admins to make it happen.

If it become a pattern with a particular maintainer, then the pumpking
should herd the cats to arrange a hand-off.

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>
Twitter/IRC: @xdg