Re: the mystery of the undef upstreams

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
June 27, 2013 15:32
Re: the mystery of the undef upstreams
Message ID:
20130627153234.GB43980@tequila
> On top of all of this, I think we need another state. "cpan, but author
> has acknowledged that p5p reserve the right to apply bugfixes in blead
> and even temporarily take ownership of the namespace via PAUSE in dire
> circumstances to push fixes out if the author doesn't respond in a
> timely fashion or doesn't manage to find time himself".

Why shouldn't all upstream-cpan modules in core have this status?

A module being part of core has a higher expectation of stability, so the
obligations on the author are higher (so if the author cannot fulfill them
in whatever circumstance, others must have the ability to step in as
needed).  IMHO.

(It should also work the same way for the reverse situation --
upstream-blead modules that have seen changes should have those changes
released to the CPAN in a timely fashion, by whoever is available to push
those changes, unless perhaps the change is irrelevant to other versions of
Perl. Again, IMHO.)