[perl #32032] defined may incorrectly returns true in 5.8.X

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
June 19, 2013 23:35
Subject:
[perl #32032] defined may incorrectly returns true in 5.8.X
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1371684894-1020.32032-15-0@perl.org
On Thu May 31 15:16:07 2012, doy@tozt.net wrote:

> > > 	Err, sorry, no coffee yet.  I don't think it's a constant sub, it's
> > > set to &PL_sv_undef, which I guess would be an undef scalar.
> > > 	That still doesn't explain why the debugger admits to it not being
> > > defined but it still following the branch anyway.
> > >
> > > 	Austin
> > >

> > Discussion in this RT petered out nearly eight years ago, and ni-s has
> > passed away.  Is there anyone familiar with IO::Tty who could review
> > this ticket and see whether we have a bug in Perl's defined built-in, a
> > bug in that module, or some combination thereof?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> > Jim Keenan
>
> The changes in IO::Tty 1.03 look possibly relevant here.
>
> -doy

They do look relevant, but they don't help with respect to writing a
test to reproduce the original problem.  The original poster said that
on a system which does have TIOCSCTTY -- which I believe my Linux/i386
does -- one can "comment it out or undefine it" (paraphrase).   But I
don't know how to do that.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---