[perl #118543] removing various testing and obsolete profiling targets

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 19, 2013 13:13
Subject:
[perl #118543] removing various testing and obsolete profiling targets
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1371647565-1153.118543-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Nicholas Clark
# Please include the string:  [perl #118543]

There are a *lot* of variant testing targets in the *nix Makefile, most of
which I don't think that anyone uses. All are shortcuts which invoke t/TEST
or t/harness with various options. I propose we remove most of them.

ie *keep* only the following targets:

check check.valgrind test test-harness test-notty test-porting test-prep
test-reonly test-tty test.valgrind test_harness test_harness_notty
test_notty test_notty.valgrind test_porting test_prep test_prep.valgrind
test_prep_pre test_prep_reonly test_reonly test_tty

There are also targets and scripts related to profiling and testing tools
for Tru64 and Irix. I propose we remove those.

Specifically, as currently being tested by
smoke-me/nicholas/Makefile-target-purge:

commit 9fbec194b689319c3b7b8b7d1d066710bf4c5ab7
Author: Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
Date:   Wed Jun 19 12:35:33 2013 +0200

    Remove various rarely used test targets from the generated Makefile.

    Remove these targets and their documentation:

    check.third check.utf16 check.utf8 coretest minitest.utf16 test.deparse
    test.taintwarn test.third test.torture test.utf16 test.utf8
    test_notty.deparse test_notty.third test_prep.third torturetest ucheck
    ucheck.third ucheck.utf16 ucheck.valgrind utest utest.third utest.utf16
    utest.valgrind

    It's still possible to run the actions these targets "by hand", if desired.
    This commit simply removes the convenience targets from the Makefile,
    reducing its complexity.

 Makefile.SH      | 59 +-------------------------------------------------------
 pod/perlhack.pod | 45 +-----------------------------------------

commit e271551a471d8993e37f965f0d75773ac65477e0
Author: Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
Date:   Wed Jun 19 13:37:25 2013 +0200

    Remove Makefile targets and tools related to Irix and Tru64 debugging tools.

    Remove the targets:

    perl.pixie perl.pixie.atom perl.pixie.config perl.pixie.irix perl.third
    perl.third.config

    It's still possible to run the actions these targets "by hand", if desired.
    This commit removes the convenience targets from the Makefile, reducing its
    complexity. It also removes the related support scripts testall.atom and
    thirdclean from Porting/

    pixie is a performance analysis tool for Irix and Tru64
    Third Degree is a memory checker tool for Tru64

    Given that Tru64 went out of support at the end of 2012, and Irix goes out
    of support at the end of 2013, it's very unlikely that anyone is still
    actively profiling or debugging perl on either platform, and hence using
    these targets. It's been several years since we've even had a regular bug
    report from either platform.

 MANIFEST             |  2 --
 Makefile.SH          | 37 +--------------------
 Porting/README.pod   |  9 ------
 5 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 229 deletions(-)

I'm also suspicious about the utility of the perl.gcov and perl.gprof
*targets*. I'm wondering whether they are actually that useful, given that
one needs to reconfigure perl to add -pg or -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage,
at which point your regular perl binary will have been built with such
options.

Nicholas Clark