[perl #113824] Regexp error messages are not UTF8-clean

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
June 18, 2013 19:47
Subject:
[perl #113824] Regexp error messages are not UTF8-clean
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1371584824-414.113824-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Jun 18 08:36:45 2013, demerphq wrote:
> On 18 June 2013 15:29, Father Chrysostomos via RT
> <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > On Tue Jun 18 06:17:15 2013, sprout wrote:
> >> All our printf-style functions *do* support utf8, but just not as a
> >> separate flag.  The input must be a HEK or SV.  Look for instances of
> >> HEKf and SVf in the perl source.
> >>
> >> Now, it has just occurred to be that it would not be at all hard to add
> >> support for utf8 char*s.  We have pretty much infinite space in %-p
> >> formats, so we can define %-4p to whatever we want.
> >>
> >> The latter would not be necessary for fixing this bug, but it may be a
> >> good thing to do anyway, and it might turn out to be the simplest
way to
> >> fix this bug.
> >
> > And this is what it would look like in practice;
> >
> > Perl_croak("Couldn't twiggle the twoggle in \"%"UTF8f"\"", is_utf8, s);
> >
> > UTF8f could take two arguments, the first being a boolean.  That would
> > be the most useful way to implement it.
>
> Very nice idea! ++FC.

We need the length, too.  Which order should they come?  is_utf8, len, str?

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open