[perl #113792] Unused punctuation variables don't interpolate

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
June 18, 2013 00:50
Subject:
[perl #113792] Unused punctuation variables don't interpolate
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-21115-1371516617-501.113792-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Jul 03 13:31:50 2012, sprout wrote:
> On Tue Jul 03 11:43:08 2012, pilcrow wrote:
> > this.  I
> > they

> > > No, but the repercussions of that sort of change worry me.  Maybe I
> > just
> > > need to think it through more.
> >
> > How about adding ``(W deprecated, ambiguous) Reserved variable %s will
> > someday interpolate''
> > to 5.16.x whenever an unused punct variable plausibly should have
> > interpolated?
> >
> > If the behavior is later correcte^Wchanged so that unused, reserved
> > variables do interpolate,
> > it'd be charitable to replace that with a new warning:  ``(W
> > ambiguous) Possible unintended
> > interpolation of reserved variable %s''
>
> Neither of those possibilities makes me feel uneasy.

ikegami, sprout:

Do you have any recommendations (warnings? doc patches?) that can help
us bring this RT to resolution?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---