RE: dmake can't find config.h, and collector throws error whentrying to compile perl-static.exe (perl-5.18.0 / mingw / 32b)

From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
June 5, 2013 13:30
RE: dmake can't find config.h, and collector throws error whentrying to compile perl-static.exe (perl-5.18.0 / mingw / 32b)
Message ID:
DC0095F744C45F45BDD43368AB46582C02953E@FR712WXCHMBA09.zeu.alcatel-lucent.com
> From: Leon Timmermans
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Steve Hay wrote:
> > Interestingly, the perl-static.exe target's recipe already links all the
> > static extensions directly into perl-static.exe, so it doesn't seem to
> > need to link in (the currently broken) perl519s.lib/libperl519s.a as
> > well anyway!
> >
> > Thus, I thought that simply removing the creation of that static library
> > rather than trying to fix it (together with linking in the core perl
> > objects, which are the other thing being picked up from the static
> > library) would solve the problem. (See patch attached.)
>
> I think that would break MakeMaker for XS modules. Then again, only
> two people noticed Module::Build never got around to implementing this
> at all in the past ten years, people doing static perls generally
> don't seem to be using many modules. It's a fairly crazy use-case when
> you think about it.

right now, building all-static "perl-static.exe" gives a perl that can not load dynamic XS modules.
This is quite unfortunate, and hence very functionality stripped, but this is how it is documented...

I thought about inserting an opportunity of dynamic loading into perl-static.exe, but there
were no very obvious way to do this.

I will revive this effort, given there is demand on it (i.e. if anyone will ask this).

However, "perl-static.exe" was not wasted effort at the time, because it have happened on fixing some bugs related to possibility to have XS modules into perlXY.dll, IIRC...

with regards and respects,
Vadim.