Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
June 3, 2013 11:07
Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build
Message ID:
20130603110721.GA12908@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:02:14PM -0400, David Golden wrote:

> Are these masochistic CPAN-avoiding users real or just boogeymen?

They are, sadly, real.  There are people out there who somehow got a
meme into their heads that CPAN == dependency hell.  I was told recently
that CPAN was unusable because it tries to upgrade perl.  I forget when
that bug was fixed.  Ten years ago? Something like that.  I have no idea
how prevalent they are though.

I am one of the maintainers of one such project, which has a historical
policy of no dependencies other than perl itself and rsync. It
reimplements many many wheels, repeats vast swathes of code many times,
and has virtually no tests. And it uses autoconf. Hahahahaha!

It's not had a release in something like 5 years, despite there being
many bugfixes and improvements on github, an active user community, ...

I'd love to fix that project, but the lack of tests mean that doing so
is even more painful than leaving it as it is.  One day I might get
round to "fixing" it, by throwing away all the existing code and
starting again from scratch.

Having said all that, and despite one of my many hats being a We Don't
Use The CPAN On This Project hat, I don't care about those people.  They
have deliberately chosen pain, and so I'm quite happy for them to suffer
bitter hurts.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

You can't spell AWESOME without ME!