Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
June 2, 2013 07:07
Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build
Message ID:
20130602070717.GA4690@fernweh.plasmasturm.org
* Andreas Koenig <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de> [2013-06-02 08:50]:
> Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> writes:
> >* David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> [2013-06-02 03:10]:
> >>The "answer" is to point them at "cpan", which auto-configures and
> >>-- by 5.20 -- doesn't even bother with mirror selection. It will
> >>bootstrap local::lib as well. Newbies should be able to say "cpan
> >>Foo" and it will just work -- and give them instructions for how to
> >>put local::lib in their shell.
> >
> >If they download an off-CPAN app that isn’t meant for installing then
> >they can unpack the tarball and `cpanm --installdeps .`. Does `cpan`
> >have an equivalent for that?
>
> cpan .

No. That will install the distribution from the current directory.

Using `cpan --installdeps .` won’t. That will install the dependencies
of the distribution *only*, but not the distribution itself.

(Which, if it’s using cpanfile instead of Makefile.PL or Build.PL, may
not be a distribution at all, but a Perl app with CPAN dependencies.)

> >For that matter, though less importantly, does it have `cpanfile`
> >support? How much had the index loading been optimised – does it
> >download and parse fast enough to be unnoticeable even on modest
> >machines, and does it fail to die when operating with limited RAM?
> >The reduced default verbosity is only the most visible aspect of
> >cpanm, and not unimportant, but far from primary.
>
> I think I would accept a patch for that.

For what? I listed several things… you mean for all of them?

Regards,