RE: dmake can't find config.h, and collector throws error when trying to compile perl-static.exe (perl-5.18.0 / mingw / 32b)

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
May 29, 2013 07:36
RE: dmake can't find config.h, and collector throws error when trying to compile perl-static.exe (perl-5.18.0 / mingw / 32b)
Message ID:
67B2BB40A61BE846B65EF4793B863D6CAF35D3@ukmail02.planit.group

http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlmingw/files/Compiler%20for%2032%20
>> bit%20Windows/
>
> No better results, all normal exes are ok but static one is not build,
> the same error at the end:
>   dmake:  Error code 129, while making '..\perl-static.exe'
> full raw log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=hLXaeH81

The message about config.h not being found is not an error. It is simply
output the first time the build is run; one of the pre-configured
config.h files is then copied into place and the message won't be seen
if the build is run again.

Otherwise, I see the same problem in blead (with WIN64=undef, as Rob
said). It also happens when just doing a BUILD_STATIC (as opposed to
ALL_STATIC) build, this time, of course, ending with just an undefined
reference to _boot_Win32CORE since that is the only extension linked
statically in that case:

..\libperl519s.a(perllib.o):perllib.c:(.text+0x9c): undefined reference
to `_boot_Win32CORE'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
dmake:  Error code 129, while making '..\perl-static.exe'

This is with MinGW's gcc-4.7.0.

The build works fine with nmake/VC++ and with dmake/VC++, so it is
definitely a problem with the gcc toolchain, rather than the dmake
makefile.

I will try to investigate more later. Sorry for not testing this before
5.18.0 was released. Static builds are not a configuration I generally
have in mind.