Re: [perl #112448] -Duserelocatableinc does not adjust$Config{startperl}

From:
Thomas Sibley
Date:
May 29, 2013 00:21
Re: [perl #112448] -Duserelocatableinc does not adjust$Config{startperl}
Message ID:
51A2B566.4090105@cpan.org
On 05/26/2013 05:51 PM, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
>> I found a total of four suspicious Config values:
>>
>> installbin
>> installprefix
>> perlpath
>> startperl
>>
>> All four contain the original value of how this perl was built and
>> should not.
>>

> In the course of reviewing RT #45155 tonight, I had occasion to
> configure and build perl (blead) with these arguments:
>
> #####
> sh ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Dprefix=/home/jkeenan/tmp
> -Duserelocatableinc
> #####
>
> I did not install this Perl.  When I inspected config.sh, I got these
> values for the four keys mentioned above:
>
> #####
> $  grep -nE '(startperl|installbin|installprefix|perlpath)' config.sh |
> grep -v installprefixexp
> 749:installbin='/home/jkeenan/tmp/bin'
> 754:installprefix='/home/jkeenan/tmp'
> 886:perlpath='/home/jkeenan/tmp/bin/perl5.19.1'
> 998:startperl='#!/home/jkeenan/tmp/bin/perl5.19.1'
> #####
>
> Is this consistent with your bug report?  (Doesn't appear to be
> consistent to me, but I've never actually used 'userelocatableinc'.)

Yes, that is consistent with what Andreas reported and I've observed.
Why did it seem inconsistent with the report?

The utility of userelocatableinc is significantly handicapped when those
parameters contain hardcoded paths specified at configuration time.  The
problem arises when the installation is moved from the original location
and the parameters are used at runtime.

I spent some time triaging this bug myself before I had to drop it for
lack of time.  I found that at the time I was investigating there were
additional config parameters which contained hardcoded paths even under
userelocatableinc.  Some of those were clearly harmless, but others
appeared to be paths that might be used at runtime and hence probably
shouldn't contain hardcoded paths when userelocatableinc is in effect.