Re: [perl #63402] use open :locale doesn't work in Windows

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
May 28, 2013 15:17
Re: [perl #63402] use open :locale doesn't work in Windows
Message ID:
CALJW-qHFuwOBoec6P_Ke7=OVd_2mBcpy-2PtapB8ZE_EbOjXkg@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Nicholas Clark via RT <
perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:

> Also, given that :locale uses encoding, and we've said we're going to
> remove
> encoding.pm, doesn't that mean that :locale itself needs deprecating? Or,
> at
> least, rethinking?

No, it doesn't need deprecating. :locale uses :encoding layers to perform
its encoding/decoding and none of encoding.pm's deprecated core
functionality.

encoding.pm is only used because it already had a function to determine the
encoding a local uses (_get_locale_encoding).  It's a simply a case of
improper modularisation,

- Eric