Re: [perl #118055] miniperl fails with SIGBUS on sparc(usethreads+use64bitint)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 27, 2013 14:08
Re: [perl #118055] miniperl fails with SIGBUS on sparc(usethreads+use64bitint)
Message ID:
20130527140822.GD3729@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:41:50AM -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>

> > #if defined(USE_ITHREADS) && IVSIZE > U32SIZE && IVSIZE > PTRSIZE
> >

> FWIW, this would be true on VMS Alpha or Itanium configured with
> -Duse64bitint -Dusethreads.  Pointers are 32-bit by default.  64-bit
> pointers can be requested at compile time, but as far as I know, no one's
> ever added support to Perl for that.  Alignment faults are not fatal, but
> badly degrade performance, especially on Itanium where more of the fault
> handling is done by the OS in software.

Meaning that right now 5.18.0 built on VMS Alpha or Itanium with
-Duse64bitint will have potentially misaligned pmops, and hence slowdown as
the fixup code is being hit?

Nicholas Clark