[perl #23963] Possible buffer overrun in threads

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 27, 2013 12:54
Subject:
[perl #23963] Possible buffer overrun in threads
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1369659236-963.23963-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Sep 22 09:36:41 2003, DavidBuckley@bigfoot.com wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from DavidBuckley@bigfoot.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.34 running under perl v5.8.0.

> [Please enter your report here]
>

> This is, unfortunately, an apparently unreproducible bug.
>
> I have a CGI backend running for scripts that will potentially take
> a while to run, hence I have several threads. These initialise
> themselves on as as-needed basis. My problem lies on the fact that,
> at random (apparently), one of the threads (it always /seems/ to be
> the final one) is corrupting a string. I'm receiving the following
> error:
>
> thread failed to start: Holy crap on a stick, my transport module
>    fucked up (Can't locate object method "g.pm" via package
>    "SiteEng::Transport::HTTP" at ./SiteEng.pm line 107.
> )! at ./SiteEng.pm line 125.
>
> (The bit in brackets is of course what Perl gives me)
>
> Line 125 is simply the tail-end of my own exception catching routine,
> which throws a fatal and logs to various places. Line 107 is:
>
> %Param = $Transport->Parameters();
>
> $Transport is global to this source file; it's initialised in an
> 'unless' clause above (so it's definately initialised to something,
> or the script wouldn't have got this far; more evidence is in the
> fact that Perl knew the package the error resulted from).
>
> At the point of execution, the system isn't very far through
> initialisation: It's loaded the main module, and just loaded the
> transport module for the purposes of initialising $Transport.
>
> You're free to ask for the source code in question, but be warned
> that it's under development, big, and not all that tidy.
>
> The method name that I get errors for is not always 'g.pm'; I've had
> a range of different things, including some apparently random binary
> data (at least, as far as I recall). Note that g.pm is the end of
> the filename that the statement resides in.
>
> I'm running Debian unstable's Perl 5.8.0 (with threads).

Reviewing older tickets this morning, I came across this one.

Original poster:  Do you still need assistance with this problem?

If not, I think we should close this ticket, as the bug was described as
non-reproducible.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---