[perl #23043] different behaviors observed with stdio vs. perlio

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 27, 2013 12:50
Subject:
[perl #23043] different behaviors observed with stdio vs. perlio
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1369659037-1623.23043-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Jul 18 12:27:32 2003, belg4mit@mit.edu wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from belg4mit@mit.edu,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.34 running under perl v5.8.0.

> I was testing IO::Pager for cross-platform usability and ran
> into some abnormal behavior that I'm rather certain is attributable
> to perl itself. The module works fine on the 2 platforms I developed
> it on, but everywhere else exhbits various oddities layed out below.
> AFAIK I did not write perl 5.8 specific code. This chart maps out
> results for tests 3 and 4 of IO::Pager, and there seems to be a
> strong correlation between version, IO library, and behavior.
>
> Note: make test will skip tests 3 and 4, this is why the README
> and skip messages say to run perl -Mblib t.pl They can also be
> run as perl -Mblib t/3.pl and perl -Mblib t/4.pl
>
> build           ver     IO      platform   test 3       4
>
> belg4mit        5.8.0   perlio  solaris         OK      OK
> ActvSt 806      5.8.0   perlio  solaris         OK      D
> hypothesis      5.8.0   stdio   solaris         OK      D
> belg4mit        5.8.0   perlio  RH9             OK      OK
> broquaint       5.8.0   stdio   RH7.3           A       OK
> ActvSt 806      5.8.0   perlio  win98           C       OK
> Indigo          5.8.0   perlio  win98           C       OK
> hypothesis      5.6.1   perlio  solaris         A       B
> athena          5.6.1   stdio   solaris         A       B
> perl5           5.6.0   stdio   solaris         A       B
> broquaint       5.6     stdio   RH7.3           A       OK
> Indigo          5.6.1   stdio   win98           A       OK
>
> A       Infinite loop with no output
> B       Pager runs but displays nothing
> C       Pager runs but term control not regained when it exits
> D       t/4.t doesn't run from t.pl but runs fine manually
>
> Also, I realize that the signal handler setting in 3.t should be
> outside of the loop, and strace will pick up on this, but it does
> not affect the results if it is moved outside of while.
>
> PS> Not exactly pertinent to the bug report, but if anybody has
>     a better idea how to handle tests 3 and 4 under Test::Harness
>     I'd love to hear it.
>
> Happy bug squashing!

belg4mit:

I came across this older ticket this morning and wondered whether you
were ever able to resolve the problems described.  I note that IO::Pager
is passing all its tests on Perl 5.18.0
(http://cpantesters.org/distro/I/IO-Pager.html.)

Please let us know if you still need assistance with this.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new