[perl #115932] Net::Ping IPv6 support - with patch

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 26, 2013 23:57
Subject:
[perl #115932] Net::Ping IPv6 support - with patch
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1369612611-725.115932-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Nov 27 12:16:24 2012, VinsWorldcom wrote:
> This is a bug report for perl from vinsworldcom@gmail.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.39 running under perl 5.16.1.

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> There is currently no IPv6 support in Net::Ping relying on IPv4 only
> routines like sockaddr_in and inet_ntoa/aton.  I've created a patch to
> support IPv6.  It's 95% complete.  I'm having issues calculating the
> ICMPv6 checksum.
>
> As you may know, the ICMPv6 checksum is different than ICMPv4 in that
> ICMPv6 uses a pseudo-header (much like TCP/UDP) for checksum
> calculation.  How to find the source address if the user does not call
> bind() before actually sending the packet?
>
> Other than that, IPv4 remains the default and all tests result in the
> same output for me as they did before the patch.  IPv6 ping now also
> works, only not with ICMPv6 as transport (due to aforementioned
> checksum
> issue).
>
> I'd like some help getting that last ICMPv6 checksum part resolved and
> get this IPv6 support added to Net::Ping.
>
> The original bug was submitted via CPAN at:
>
> https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=80479
>
> and the patch is included with that bug report and follows:

Steve Peters:  Your posting at
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=80479#txn-1191096
indicates you were working on v2.40 of Net::Ping.  We now have v2.41 in
blead.  Does that mean that the feature request in RT #115932 has been
met?  (Trying to see if this ticket is closeable.)

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new