[perl #57688] PerlIO::via suggest pre-CLOSE method

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 26, 2013 17:12
Subject:
[perl #57688] PerlIO::via suggest pre-CLOSE method
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1369588341-1532.57688-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Aug 06 17:37:09 2008, kryde wrote:
> I'm making a layer using PerlIO::via where I'd like to print an
>    "erase"
> down through the sub-layer(s) when my layer is either removed by
> binmode() or the stream is closed.  The POPPED method covers binmode,
> but via calls the CLOSE method after it has closed the sublayers (with
> the usual PerlIOBase_close()), so it's too late to say goodbye.
>
> It'd be great if there was some sort of PRECLOSE method, or maybe a
>    way
> to say that your CLOSE method will take care of closing the sublayers
> itself when it's good and ready (as opposed to PerlIOVia_close() doing
> that as its first thing).
>
> (I know FLUSH is called before close, but there doesn't seem any way
> know that a particular FLUSH is the last-ever, as opposed to a mere
> force-output with the stream staying open.)

This is one of three PerlIO-related tickets filed by the same user
several years ago.  Is there anyone on list who could take a look at them?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new