[perl #57258] :perlio layer extra FLUSHes

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 26, 2013 17:11
Subject:
[perl #57258] :perlio layer extra FLUSHes
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1369588281-1520.57258-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Jul 24 18:21:26 2008, kryde wrote:
> The program below prints
>
>     WRITE 4096 bytes
>     FLUSH
>     WRITE 4096 bytes
>     FLUSH
>     WRITE 4096 bytes
>     FLUSH
>     WRITE 4096 bytes
>     FLUSH
>
> where I hoped the :perlio layer wouldn't call Flush on the sub-layer
> unless/until a flush from the toplevel.
>
> Nosing around it looks like the :perlio code for "my buffer is full, I
> have to write it to the sublayer" calls its own flush func to do that
> job, resulting in what I think are unnecessary Flushes on the
>    sublayer.
>
> The commented-out ":encoding(ascii)" line in the program does the same
> thing, but in 1024 byte blocks.  Nosing around I guess :encoding
>    shares
> some of the buffering layer code.
>
> (This is assuming I understand the flush func correctly as meaning
> "force output sofar to go on the wire, if it hasn't already".  The
> perliol pod isn't quite as clear as it might be.)

This is one of three PerlIO-related tickets filed by the same user
several years ago.  Is there anyone on list who could take a look at them?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new