Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 24, 2013 12:38
Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build
Message ID:
20130524123830.GV3729@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:42:12PM -0400, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> [2013-05-22T13:44:38]
> > I propose deprecating Module::Build from core in 5.19 and removing it in
> > 5.21.
>
> I will go poke some more people/groups who might care.  Like:  I'll go
> cross-post.
>
> I don't expect any substantial objections, though, and think we'll end up doing
> this.  That means:
>
>   * add the "use deprecate" to Module::Build
>   * ship it[1]
>   * mark it deprecated in CoreList
>   * set a timer for 5.21.0
>
> [1]: If we only add the deprecate.pm usage to core's M::B, it means we'll
> either need to stop updating core's version or we'll need to reapply each time.
> I think it'll be easier to add it to the official repo, and I know a few people
> with the commit bits to make it happen. ;)

The intent of the (unfortunately named) deprecate pragma was exactly this.

That it gets added to the upstream codebase once, and from then on no further
changes are needed, and identical code (with identical $VERSIONs) is present
in both places.*

Nicholas Clark

* And the PAUSE indexer does not get upset and does not start to kill kittens.