Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
May 24, 2013 11:42
Re: RFC: Deprecating Module::Build
Message ID:
519F5222.7040808@steffen-mueller.net
On 05/24/2013 01:42 AM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * David Golden <xdg@xdg.me> [2013-05-22T13:44:38]
>> I propose deprecating Module::Build from core in 5.19 and removing it in
>> 5.21.
>
> I will go poke some more people/groups who might care.  Like:  I'll go
> cross-post.
>
> I don't expect any substantial objections, though, and think we'll end up doing
> this.  That means:
>
>    * add the "use deprecate" to Module::Build
>    * ship it[1]
>    * mark it deprecated in CoreList
>    * set a timer for 5.21.0

This whole deal about nuking Module::Build from core concerns me.

The "nobody wants to maintain it" argument really doesn't cut it - if
M::B is broken by Perl, a significant fraction of CPAN will explode.
We'd have to fix it anyway. Furthermore, we should also expunge
ExtUtils::MakeMaker while we're at it. It's not seen a lot of love
either (despite the laudable claims of some).

Module::Build is rather low in the module building infrastructure and is
depended on by A LOT of code. In particular, non-core, non-CPAN build
systems may have logic that depends on M::B which will run into
"interesting" bootstrapping issues once its gone.

Generally speaking, killing this module in core seems to fall on the far
side of the "cost/benefit" line.

--Steffen