Re: [perl #118055] miniperl fails with SIGBUS on sparc(usethreads+use64bitint)

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
May 22, 2013 13:45
Re: [perl #118055] miniperl fails with SIGBUS on sparc(usethreads+use64bitint)
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.02.1305220945220.24653@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Wed, 22 May 2013, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 05:02:38PM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 May 2013, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
> > > I can replicate this on one of the sparc linux machines on the GCC compile
> > > farm. For -Duse64bitint:
> >
> > I was able to replicate it on an old Sparc Solaris system.  It compiles
> > successfully with gcc-3.4.3, but fails with gcc-4.1.0 and gcc-4.6.0.
>
> Interesting. So newer gcc is generating instructions that require alignment,
> and older gcc is not. And "old Sparc Solaris" meant that newer Sparc Solaris
> didn't (ie newer hardware can do misaligned reads?)

Old just means it's all I have handy.  (Specifically UltraSparc 10,
Solaris 8, maybe 15 years old).  It can do misaligned writes (this bus
error is on a write command, I think) if instructed to do so, but it's a
different assembly instruction.  I suspect the differing reports we've
seen are due to the different gcc versions, not different SPARC hardware.

> > I may be able to look at this late next week.
>
> I hope to have something sooner than that.

That would be great.  I can test things sooner, but not create them.
(Though testing is slow -- about 1/2 hour from Configure to SIGBUS!).

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu