[perl #64126] ./Configure -de -Dusevendorprefix doesn't default

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 20, 2013 02:40
Subject:
[perl #64126] ./Configure -de -Dusevendorprefix doesn't default
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1369017630-965.64126-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Feb 22 20:08:44 2013, jkeenan wrote:
> On Tue Mar 24 20:45:49 2009, doughera wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> > issue.

> > ask me a
> > [ . . . ]
> >
> > You're being polite.  Of course it's a bug.  -d means accept all the
> > defaults, with an implicit promise to not pester you.  The problem is
> > that there is no default vendorprefix because I didn't know what to
> > set
> > it to.

> > (where site perl
> > >
> > > Not that simple, but close:
> > >
> > > dflt=$siteprefix/lib/$package/site_$prog

> > > Well, having a default at least tries to make all noses point in the
> > > same direction, so it sounds very good to have one.
> > >
> > > Say, I set the default to vendor_prefix like simplified
> > >
> > > ($vendorprefix = $siteprefix) =~ s/site_/vendor_/;
> > >
> > > the next step is then the determination of vendorlib, which defaults
> > > $vendorprefix/lib/perl/vendor_perl/$version
> > >
> > > which seems to me a bit deep and unwanted
> > >
> > > Open to opinions
> >
> > I think a default of $prefix (just like $siteprefix) is probably ok.
> > The default vendorlib directories will still have the word "vendor" in
> > them, so they will remain distinct.  The $vendor{bin,script,man}
> > directories will be the same as the $prefix counterparts, but that's
> > probably ok and probably even what would be wanted.
> >
> > > Cc'd Andy, because he the original author of the vendor part
> >
> > though that doesn't mean I was necessarily thinking clearly at the
> > time!
> >

> I reviewed this older ticket tonight.  A probable bug was identified,
> but it's not clear that a fix was ever implemented or a patch submitted.
>
> Could we get some eyeballs on this ticket?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Let's try again!  Configure experts, can you take a look?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open