More complaints about perl5180delta

From:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Zsb=E1n_Ambrus?=
Date:
May 15, 2013 22:09
Subject:
More complaints about perl5180delta
Message ID:
CAHku1CFJsWEd6ufsOTTFpMqUVUPDxaqfu8nUzohbZCmruHuc3A@mail.gmail.com
Please consider to add notes to the perldelta for perl 5.18.0 about
the following.

1. Perldelta already mentions that the regex /\S/ now matches "\cK".
With what regex mode does this apply, as in which of /d, /u, /a, /aa ?

2. Is a literal vertical tab inside a /x regular expression now ignored?

3. Has the behaviour of numification of strings changed too to treat
vertical tab as a whtiespace? For example, what is the value of
0+"\cK42", int("\cK42") ?

4. Has the oct function changed too? For example, what is the value of
ord("\cK42") ?

5. Could you link to the hash order changes from the "Security"
section too?  I know there's a link right below it, in the
"Incompatible Changes" section, but it still feels strange not to
mention this under "Security".

6. The following sentence uses the caret character to mean two different things.

Use of C<$^>, where C<^> stands for any actual (non-printing) C0 control
character will be disallowed in a future Perl version.  Use C<${^}>
instead (where again C<^> stands for a control character),
or better, C<$^A> , where C<^> this time is a caret (CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT),
and C<A> stands for any of the characters listed at the end of
L<perlebcdic/OPERATOR DIFFERENCES>.

Please change it to something like this.

Use of C<$x>, where C<x> stands for any actual (non-printing) C0 control
character will be disallowed in a future Perl version.  Use C<${x}>
instead (where again C<x> stands for a control character),
or better, C<$^A> , where C<^> this time is a caret (CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT),
and C<A> stands for any of the characters listed at the end of
L<perlebcdic/OPERATOR DIFFERENCES>.

7. In a sentence about unicode properties, C<[:word;]> is probably a
typo for C<[:word:]> .

8.  This sentence is a bit suspicious:

There are no longer any differences in the parsing of  identifiers
specified as $... or ${...}; "

Could you clarify what this means?  Will $$x and ${$}x be parsed the
same?  How about *${^} and *$^ ?

9.  I know this is nit-picking, but the perldelta sometimes mentions
"here document" and sometimes "here-document".  Choose one of those,
preferably the one used by perl's error messages, and stick to it.

I'm sorry that I can't test the new perl nor provide doc patches right
now.  Also, thanks for all the hard work in this release candidate,
p5p.

Ambrus