final perldelta nits from davem

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
May 15, 2013 16:24
Subject:
final perldelta nits from davem
Message ID:
20130515162328.GP2069@iabyn.com
Finbally got round to reading perldelta. These are the things I've
noticed.

    Swapping of $< and $>

It's not immediately clear what this refers to. A very simple example
might clarify, such as

    ($<,$>) = ($>,$<);  # swap real and effective uids

(that's lifted directly from perlvar).

    =head3 New Warnings

    =item *

    Strings with code points over 0xFF may not be mapped into in-memory file
    handles

This new warning (unlike the others) isn't within a L<>. I don't know
whether there's a reason for it not to be.

    =head1 Selected Bug Fixes

    =item *

    Accessing C<$&> after a pattern match now works if it had not been seen
    before the match.  I.e., this applies to C<${'&'}> (under C<no strict>) and
    C<eval '$&'>.  The same applies to C<$'> and C<$`> [perl #4289].

That bug is now present again since we disabled COW by default; so the
whole entry probably needs deleting.

    Reset the UTF-8 position cache when accessing magical variables to avoid the
    string buffer and the UTF-8 position cache getting out of sync
    [perl #114410].

That reads strangely as a description of a bug fix. Perhaps instead:

    The UTF-8 position cache is now reset when accessing magical variables,
    to avoid the ...

    A bug in the compilation of a C</(?{})/> expression which affected the TryCatch
    test suite has been fixed [perl #114242].

AFAIKT, this is a bug fix to a bug introduced in 5.17.x, so doesn't need
mentioning.

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.