Re: [perl #117947] all XS functions are implicitly :lvalue

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
May 13, 2013 12:12
Re: [perl #117947] all XS functions are implicitly :lvalue
Message ID:
CAHhgV8gXxKh3meNSu4E0RK4Nfi6wbOP9w=CEu4=R1O0858raGg@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgs@consttype.org> wrote:
> maxstr is not a method; if you use List::Util::maxstr() instead, it
> complains as it should:
>
> ~§ perl -wle 'use List::Util qw(maxstr); List::Util::maxstr($_ = "hi")
> = 42; print'
> Can't modify non-lvalue subroutine call in scalar assignment at -e
> line 1, near "42;"
> Execution of -e aborted due to compilation errors.
>
> That said, we actually seem to have a problem with XS functions called
> as methods.

Yeah, the keywords there seems to be "compilation errors". For methods
we have to detect this at runtime…

Leon