Re: [perl #117969] use POSIX emits multiple warnings if used after"Cwd"

From:
Lukas Mai
Date:
May 12, 2013 19:00
Re: [perl #117969] use POSIX emits multiple warnings if used after"Cwd"
Message ID:
518FE6A5.1090106@gmail.com
On 12.05.2013 20:52, Linda Walsh via RT wrote:
> On Sun May 12 11:02:49 2013, plokinom@gmail.com wrote:
>>> The fact that it stomps on namespace and issues warnings for things as
>>> it overwrites things that have not been explicitly imported seems an
>>> unfriendly default for a CORE module, no?
>>
>> This is not a fact. What you're describing is not the default behavior
>   of anything.
> ----
> It is the documented behavior of the POSIX module:
> Everything is exported by default ... This is an unfortunate backwards
> compatibility feature.

Stop. Neither this bug nor your paragraph I quoted above are about POSIX
exporting everything by default. The bug and the paragraph are about
POSIX issuing warnings (allegedly).

> ---
> It is documented as an unfortunate feature.  How would improving it to
> not give warnings if something has already defined those modules NOT be
> an improvement?   In what possible circumstance could it break any
> existing application?

... and now you're back to talking about warnings. Warnings that - I
repeat - are not the default and only happen with -w. What exactly is
your proposed change?

> It would be completely backwards compatible, yet you and others prefer a
> 20-y.o. interface that is documented, rather harshly for perl standards,
> as being 'unfortunate'?

I have no idea what you're talking about here.

> Note: I confirmed your statement about the simple case for
> putting "use CWD" after use POSIX", and cannot reproduce a test case
> validating my initial claim... though, that said, I would be unlikely to
> fabricate such a claim had I not observed it while investigating this
> issue.
>
> However, I note that I was likely confused.

youdontsay.jpg

> Of the 61 places where grep
> shows me using "use POSIX", it is *always* followed by a qw(xxx), so I
> never experienced the default case... which I think could still be fixed
> to not be as intrusive if there was any willingness to allow an updates
> or contributions addressing the problem.

1. What exactly do you think is the problem?
2. What do you propose should be changed?

--
Lukas Mai <plokinom@gmail.com>