[perl #117969] use POSIX emits multiple warnings if used after "Cwd"

From:
Linda Walsh via RT
Date:
May 12, 2013 18:53
Subject:
[perl #117969] use POSIX emits multiple warnings if used after "Cwd"
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2650-1368384776-1332.117969-15-0@perl.org
On Sun May 12 11:02:49 2013, plokinom@gmail.com wrote:
> > The fact that it stomps on namespace and issues warnings for things as
> > it overwrites things that have not been explicitly imported seems an
> > unfriendly default for a CORE module, no?
>
> This is not a fact. What you're describing is not the default behavior
 of anything.
----
It is the documented behavior of the POSIX module:
Everything is exported by default ... This is an unfortunate backwards
compatibility feature.
---
It is documented as an unfortunate feature.  How would improving it to
not give warnings if something has already defined those modules NOT be
an improvement?   In what possible circumstance could it break any
existing application?

It would be completely backwards compatible, yet you and others prefer a
20-y.o. interface that is documented, rather harshly for perl standards,
as being 'unfortunate'?

Note: I confirmed your statement about the simple case for
putting "use CWD" after use POSIX", and cannot reproduce a test case
validating my initial claim... though, that said, I would be unlikely to
fabricate such a claim had I not observed it while investigating this
issue.

However, I note that I was likely confused.  Of the 61 places where grep
shows me using "use POSIX", it is *always* followed by a qw(xxx), so I
never experienced the default case... which I think could still be fixed
to not be as intrusive if there was any willingness to allow an updates
or contributions addressing the problem.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: rejected