Re: [perl #61592] 5.8.9 won't run suid program

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 11, 2013 13:07
Re: [perl #61592] 5.8.9 won't run suid program
Message ID:
20130511130720.GS3729@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 06:42:49PM -0700, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> On Mon Feb 25 04:30:04 2013, nicholas wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:59:58PM -0800, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
> > > On Mon Dec 22 07:26:41 2008, nicholas wrote:
> >
> > > Nicholas,
> > >
> > > I suspect we should have closed this ticket four years ago.  Do you
> > agree?
> >
> > It was not clear 4 years ago whether there would be a 5.8.10 release.
> > Had there been one, this fix would have been in.*
> >
> > Also, really, this ticket is "abandoned" rather than "resolved".
> >
> > I hope that the RT upgrade will let us make that distinction.
> >

> Don't hold your breath ;-)

I haven't been. But the rt.cpan.org update is done, out there and looking
good. I had been hoping that rt.perl.org wouldn't be that many months later.

> > * Actually, by the workflow that we're currently using, because we
> > don't have
> >   a "pending release" status, this ticket would actually have been
> > closed as
> >   "resolved" as soon as the bug fix was committed, even though it
> > never got
> >   released. That's also something we should change.
> >

> Can we close the ticket now and, if so, with which Status?

I believe so. There won't be a release which fixes this.
Not sure. Maybe "wontfix" is the best of the optionso available to us,
although really I'd still like an "abandoned" status. And a
"pending release". And, I guess, for completeness, a terse word which means
"fix is shipped in a newer stable release and we're not going to backport it,
so please upgrade". I think that those 3 are sufficient.

(Which, actually, applies to this ticket, as it was fixed for 5.10.1)

Nicholas Clark