[perl #116098] Error in Getopt::Std documentation examples

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
May 10, 2013 02:11
Subject:
[perl #116098] Error in Getopt::Std documentation examples
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-6955-1368151902-820.116098-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Dec 17 11:29:46 2012, rrt wrote:
> On 16 December 2012 21:25, Dave Mitchell via RT
> <perlbug-followup@perl.org>wrote:
>
> > I think you have confused the optopt() function with the getopts()
> > function.
>

> I think you mean "getopt", not "optopt". Quite right! I switched from
> getopt to getopts, and then wrote the bug report thinking I was still
using
> getopt.
>
> The former doesn't recognise ':', and assumes that every switch
> > has an argument
> >

> Given that this is of little interest, maybe it's worth reordering the
> documentation so that getopts is documented first? Then fewer programmers
> will start using the obviously-named function, then discover that it has
> this weird behaviour and switch to getopts.
>
> Really, getopt should be deprecated.

Since that would be a significant feature request, can you supply a patch?

Otherwise I think we should close this ticket.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open