Re: [perl #117015] Perl binary API compat between versions?

From:
=?UTF-8?B?w4Z2YXIgQXJuZmrDtnLDsCBCamFybWFzb24=?=
Date:
May 9, 2013 17:11
Re: [perl #117015] Perl binary API compat between versions?
Message ID:
CACBZZX4p3NBUx5TymiwHFNqO_yzQKtvK3v9iTi_yG+uwO_vhnA@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Linda Walsh <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> So what's the scoop?  To enforce this various other binaries on
> the system do run-time checks or load-time checks for specific
> versions of perl (as well any perl-using rpm having a reliance
> on a specific (not a minimum) version of perl.  For example
> SuSE 12.1 was built with perl 5.14.<something>.  When I wanted
> to upgrade to perl 5.16, I wasn't allowed to unless I upgraded
> my system to 12.2 (for 5.16.1) or the unreleased Factory (12.3)
> for 5.16.2.
>
> [...]
>
> Is the perl ABI really that unstable that venders have to lock the
> version now or is SuSE being overreactive?

I think everyone in this thread is kind of missing the point of this
part of the question and how it really doesn't matter that we're
discussing perl for the purposes of a complete answer to it.

It really has nothing to do with perl in particular, but seemingly
Linda's gap in knowledge of how Linux distributions handle major
upgrades for *any* software.

It doesn't matter if you have a 100% binary compatible software
package Foo version 1, A Linux distribution like SuSE is still only
going to release foo-1.* with the version you installed, and only
upgrade to foo-2.* for their next major release.

That's the whole point of using a Linux distribution at a given
release, you install it within that release version you're supposed to
get the *same* major versions of the packages you installed, but maybe
with some critical bug fixes applied on top. If you want more major
changes you install the next major release.

As others have pointed out in this thread: If your needs are different
just package perl yourself instead of relying on the system perl.