[perl #117595] Perl 5.16 regression: lost warning for -l on filehandle

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
May 9, 2013 16:37
Subject:
[perl #117595] Perl 5.16 regression: lost warning for -l on filehandle
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-6955-1368117448-1993.117595-15-0@perl.org
On Tue May 07 16:05:48 2013, rjbs wrote:
> FC's reasons for treating things as a string seem reasonable to me.  I
> have just pushed 934fd9a
> as smoke-me/rjbs/handle-l-test, restoring the warning and leaving the
> handle treated like a
> string.
>
> It would probably be a good idea for someone to review this patch!  It
> involves me looking at
> stuff on the stack, which seems like a recipe for trouble. ;)

Two things:

1) The error is not utf8-clean.  %s" should be %"HEKf and GvENAME should
be GvENAME_HEK.

2) The warning is only produced for globrefs, not globs or iorefs.  Now,
this is exactly what 5.8-5.14 did (i.e., warning inconsistently), so
it’s not so bad.  It could be considered a partial fix.  I leave it to
you whether to change that now.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---