Re: handling perlhist, perldeltas in maint branches

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
May 7, 2013 16:29
Re: handling perlhist, perldeltas in maint branches
Message ID:
20130507162910.GV2216@iabyn.com
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 04:56:46PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> The current suggested handling for maint branches in the release managers
> guide for the updated perlhist.pod and the perlNNNdelta.pod files is:
>
> 1) update this maint branch's perlhist with the new version info for this
> branch
> 2) make the new release
> 3) copy perlhist and the new perlNNNdelta to blead and *every other* maint
> branch.
>
> I suggest changing it to:
>
> 1) as an early step in the 'on the day' for a maint RC or maint FINAL
> release, copy in the latest perlhist from blead; this will automatically
> get us info on all new releases on all branches since the last maint
> release on this branch; similarly, copy any perlNNNdelta files from blead
> which aren't already in maint;
> 2) update this maint branch's perlhist with the new version info for this
> branch
> 3) make the new release
> 4) copy perlhist and the new perlNNNdelta to blead *only*.
>
> This means that a particular maint branch only gets its perlhist updated
> when we're ready to make a release for that branch, rather than it getting
> lots of small updates every time someone makes a release on another
> branch.
> And it saves someone making a release from having to checkout and update
> every other branch.

Now done with
    f6b1864d179797c2a37877d5d08793cb8d971913
    80dd5f25070be474e25d88b05813fc7702df742d

--
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...
I want to achieve it through not dying.