weekly 5.18.0 status update

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
May 6, 2013 22:53
Subject:
weekly 5.18.0 status update
Message ID:
20130506225257.GA25185@cancer.codesimply.com

Okay, I'm mostly caught up on mail after returning from lovely Charleston,
South Carolina.

We are looking good!  There are two blockers:

### Perl 5.16 regression: lost warning for -l on filehandle
    https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117595

I am going to comment on the ticket, with regard to the specifics of the issue,
but I'm hoping we can get it sorted out quickly.  Although I'd very much like
it fixed, I am willing to call this a known issue and release with it.

### restore predictable hash traversal with PERL_HASH_SEED
    https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117897

Yves is working on this one.  I think it's important to get this sorted out
before shipping, as with the increased randomization by default, being able to
shut it the heck up will be more useful than ever for debugging.

Then:

Tonight or tomorrow I will get the repository prepped to cut release candidates
for 5.18.0, including moving Porting/perl5180delta.pod to pod/perldelta.pod.
(Probably I'll start on this tonight and finish and push it tomorrow.  I expect
to encounter niggling little issues.)

I hope to release perl-5.18.0-RC1 within a week, with perl-5.18.0 released in
the second half of May.

--
rjbs