Re: [perl #117835] Pointer cast to integer of different size in hv_func.h

From:
demerphq
Date:
May 2, 2013 11:26
Re: [perl #117835] Pointer cast to integer of different size in hv_func.h
Message ID:
CANgJU+WOU3EwjYzON824rz2yDCJnE7LOe4-zPtS2drRCiiY5pw@mail.gmail.com
On 2 May 2013 13:07, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:46:30PM +0200, demerphq wrote:
>> >
>> > It needs testing on Win64 first.
>>
>> Any reason Win64 is special in this regard?
>
> Because the warning is not from your code. It's from a change made to your
> code to fix a build failure on 64 bit Windows:
>
> https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117687
>
> So changing it has the potential to break their build.
> [64 bit Windows is special because sizeof(void *) > sizeof(long)]
>
> I'd spotted this warning a few days ago and had pushed a branch recently
> (smoke-me/nicholas/rt-117687) with my second go at a fix. And I'm now
> particularly wary of that line because the first thing that I thought would
> work didn't. (Squashed the warning on 32 bit platforms, caused a warning on
> 64 bit platforms)
>
> Also, I don't understand why it was a build *failure* on Win64, and not just
> a warning. This whole thing is behaving strangely.

Oh. So maybe we should leave it one of our people who can easily test
and build on both? Er, assuming there is one?

Yves