Re: [perl #117835] Pointer cast to integer of different size inhv_func.h

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 2, 2013 11:07
Re: [perl #117835] Pointer cast to integer of different size inhv_func.h
Message ID:
20130502110729.GR3729@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:46:30PM +0200, demerphq wrote:
> On 2 May 2013 12:34, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:23:18PM +0200, demerphq wrote:
> >> Sorry about that, probably my bad porting skills at fault. I will
> >> apply your patch as soon as I can.
> >
> > It needs testing on Win64 first.
>
> Any reason Win64 is special in this regard?

Because the warning is not from your code. It's from a change made to your
code to fix a build failure on 64 bit Windows:

https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=117687

So changing it has the potential to break their build.
[64 bit Windows is special because sizeof(void *) > sizeof(long)]

I'd spotted this warning a few days ago and had pushed a branch recently
(smoke-me/nicholas/rt-117687) with my second go at a fix. And I'm now
particularly wary of that line because the first thing that I thought would
work didn't. (Squashed the warning on 32 bit platforms, caused a warning on
64 bit platforms)

Also, I don't understand why it was a build *failure* on Win64, and not just
a warning. This whole thing is behaving strangely.

Nicholas Clark