Re: [perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex

From:
demerphq
Date:
May 1, 2013 08:05
Re: [perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex
Message ID:
CANgJU+Wcc90+hd7wQKFjf2WTx02L5iiNDOwPXVbvj5FnSt=-Mw@mail.gmail.com
On 1 May 2013 02:27, Father Chrysostomos via RT
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> On Tue Apr 30 16:09:35 2013, rjbs wrote:
>> (c) the "all things in moderation" option
>>
>> We leave things exactly as they are in blead, post-50485807, but alter
>> the emitted error to say
>> "you can't put space where you put it."  This puts any likely
>> breakage's starting point back in
>> January (before the user-visible change freeze), and we move to option
>> (a) in 5.19.0.  There are
>> two down sides, here:  first, we're adding a new syntax error where
>> there wasn't one without
>> warning; secondly, we're introducing inconsistency.  The inconsistency
>> doesn't bother me *as
>> long as we fix it ASAP*.  This is like "we fixed a bunch of parts of a
>> bug, and will continue to fix
>> its other parts."  This kind of half-fix is something I am expressly
>> okay with, as we're doing
>> timeboxed releases.
>
> This is the only option I really don’t like.  I have a module that
> converts between flavours of regular expressions, and tests to make sure
> that Perl-specific extensions are passed through unchanged.  (These
> tests are apparently more exhaustive than Perl’s own test suite. :-)

Maybe you should contribute some test files to core.

But do consider that you might be testing for behavior that I would
consider to be a bug - IOW, behavior I would not write a test for
because I don't consider it to be correct in the first place. For
instance I dont consider it a bug that we have no tests to make sure
/((?#wtf)?:foo)/ works as I don't think it should work, so for me if
there is a missing test it is one that tests that /((?#wtf)?:foo)/
throws an error.

Yves