Re: [perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
May 1, 2013 01:47
Re: [perl #117327] Sequence (?#...) not recognized in regex
Message ID:
20130501014714.GA28482@cancer.codesimply.com
* Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2013-04-30T21:30:13]
> On 04/30/2013 05:09 PM, Ricardo SIGNES via RT wrote:
> >
> >I think option (a) is right out for 5.18.0.
>
> I think you meant s/right/ruled/

Perhaps that is a colloquialism.  It's "right out" like "we'll chuck this one
right out the door."  Either way, though, the meaning is the same.

* Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2013-04-30T21:30:13]
> My original intent was to change the error message, but what I ended
> up with was the simplest thing to implement.  I discovered that you
> could legally have:
> [...]
> That seemed to me to indicate a real issue in the need of fixing.

I agree that there's a lot of real problem here to be fixed, and I think your
fix is a good fix for the future.

> I don't fully understand your final suggestion.  So what I think we
> should do may be what you are saying.  I think we should not apply
> my patch, but revert 504858073fe16afb61d66a8b6748851780e51432,
> Nicholas's patch that this bug bisects to, where he mistakenly
> thought the code was dead, but it wasn't.
>
> If it is deemed ok to add a warning this late for 5.18, then my
> patch can trivially be modified to warn and not fail.  We can make
> that warning either default on or default off.

I think we should do both of these things, and that the warning should be on by
default, as it prefigures a coming fatal error.  This is what I meant to
suggest

--
rjbs